Monday, June 13, 2011

Back on The Horse Squid

First track day of the season in less than 1 week (June 20th). I've taken my track bike (which I've [literally] just named "The Red Squid") to a good friend-racer-Ducati mechanic, for some much needed repairs.

Important Lesson Learned
Turns out last year's low-side wasn't due to too much brake fluid, but rather a sticking lever. The bike was rebuilt with the wrong brake lever and ended up sticking. The knuckle of the lever was too big to properly fit into the master. Lesson Learned: It's important to have a professional check your work before you take your bike to the track.

The Red Squid is ready to rock! I bought a spare set of Dunlop tires (Q2's) and had them mounted on my spare set of wheels. Still holding onto the used set of rains in case it ends up being a wet day (please let it be dry)!

I'll have pics of the track bike up soon(?), and I'll try to take pics and video from the track day. This will be the first of many this year.

First track day will be with Fishtail Riding School --fantastic group that I'm very familiar with. Next one will probably be at the beginning of July with MotoMarket (need to confirm), and one more in the second half of July.

With any new bike, you need a lot of seat time. This engine is a beast (ex race bike) for its size, and I need to get familiar with it if I want to get fast.

Quick list of repairs:
- CORRECT front brake lever
- Replaced broken air sensor
- Fixed speedometer sensor (mounting)
- Secured wiring
- New front brake pads
- Mounted front fender
- New rubber throttle grip
- Wired-down left grip
- New bar-ends
- New Oil & Filter = no oil leak
- Cleaned chain
- Charged battery

Desperately need:
- New Sidi boots (the soles of my current Sidi's are wearing off quick) :(
- Ohlins steering damper (I'm actually debating on using my 1098s's damper)
- Tire warmers
- Garage

It's a mad-rush to get my tow-hitch installed on my car THIS WEEK, and buy or rent a trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment