Thursday, June 23, 2011

1st 2011 Track Day Down

So my first track day of 2011 was a great success. The bike ran well -without issues- which is just about the best you can hope for with a rebuilt track bike. I became comfortable with its geometry and throttle response (it's significantly different from the 1098), and was able to end up working a little on my lines and body position by the end of the day.

Starting Off

The beginning of the day started out with just easy, laid back riding. Getting used to the braking (especially now that the front brakes are fixed), and understanding the engine response through the revs and gears. Needless to say, I wasn't passing anyone in B group during the first half of the day (Track days are split into 3 riding groups: A -Typically fast riders and/or racers, B -Quick/experienced riders, C -New track day riders or slower riders).

The bike has very little power at low revs (in comparison to the 1098). If I'm in the wrong gear, it'll take me a while to get the revs up unless I shift. This is somewhat of a plus coming out of sharp turns, because it prevents me from hammering the throttle too hard while the bike is leaned over. I'm looking at this as a "safety feature" while I'm becoming proficient with the 748. Once I'm comfortable and capable on the bike, I'll want to get on the power harder, faster. When this time comes, I'll be looking at coming into turns quicker in a different gear to keep the RPM high. All in good time: I'm not in any rush at this point.

Suspension

One of the big issues I noticed with the track bike is the suspension. Luckily, there was a suspension guru present at the track and I was able to have him look over the bike and pick his brain.

It turns out that the bike has been raised for potentially rider height, but also to accomodate for Loudon (NHMS). Since the track is very technical, with a few very sharp S-turns, a rider needs to be able to "flick" the bike (from right to left) very quickly. Raising the height of the bike, raises the center of mass. Having a high center of mass helps you turn the bike very quickly. It's extremely noticeable in turn 12 at Loudon.

The problem with the suspension -for me- is that it's a little too high. I feel perched up and am so high up, that I feel like I'm disconnected from what the tires and suspension are doing. I like to be a little closer to the ground, and am willing to sacrifice some of that incredibly quick turning (I'm not at the point where it'd be advantageous to me anyway). Additionally, the front forks are very stiff and don't travel very far, while the rear shock is about right.

Ideally, I would have the time to lower the bike and adjust the sag for my weight and height, but with my next track day only a week away (Monday June 27th), I unfortunately don't have the time to do that. Instead, I'll be focusing on suspension adjustments, and hopefully that will get me closer to a better setup.


New pair of Sidi Vortice boots and The Red Squid in the pits at Loudon, NH (NHMS)

No comments:

Post a Comment