Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Keep it in Context

Firstly, I'd just like to say that this blog was inspired by @coledude; a very cool Aussie who shares a similar love for Ducati's and riding.

I don't want to just jump into things without giving you some context: (At the time of this writing) I'm a 30 year old (read as "young and cool") Software Engineer (web developer, specifically). By day I code, the rest of the time I'm riding, or thinking/reading/writing/talking about riding. I'm not wealthy, so don't assume that you can't afford to do this, too. I know a lot of people who ride, race, and are generally in the motorcycle industry in some shape or form. I live on the northern shore of Boston, MA (USA).

I learned to ride when I was 12 on an (old) Honda (similar model shown [not sure how long that link will last]). It wasn't my bike, so I only did it for a day until I was 17 and was able to buy a used Ninja 250. I totalled that bike. Painfully.

After college, I was able to move into my own place and buy a 2003 Yamaha R6 (black & silver). After which, I purchased another R6... this time blue.

I've always been a fan of Ducati's. Ever since the 916 came out, I would gush over them at the local dealership several times a month. I wouldn't be able to really afford a Ducati until 2007, when I bought my first one: a red 1098S. I've since put on over 20k miles, several track days, and primarily performance-based mods. I don't know if I'll ever ride anything other than a twin again (or if I'll ever finish paying off the loan).

So why the blog? I've gained a lot of knowledge from my experiences --not to sound boastful; it's primarily a mastering of beginner and some intermediate skills. I've gotten pretty serious about riding. I've started to educate myself on the science and technology behind riding: tires, suspension, weight, body position, power delivery, braking, timing, and technique. I've done a number of track days over the past 3 years. I recently purchased a track bike (a bike dedicated to being ridden only on the track and is typically not street legal). I'm hoping to help and inspire others who've thought about riding on the track, but didn't know enough about it (or were just afraid) to take that first step.

just hit 20,000 miles.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the blog, Patryk! I look forward to reading more, and in particular, in hearing how you go with your new "trackie".

    Chris (aka @coledude)

    ReplyDelete